The constituents of vaccines are a bit scary in and of themselves, especially when you realize they are going into 7 lb. infants, or 18 lb. toddlers. I am just not anti-vaccination. Neither am I pro-vaccination. I’ve been checking out this issue for 15 years. I’ve talked with parents that are certain that a vaccination caused their children’s autism. I’ve also talked with professionals who are equally certain that vaccinations do not cause autism or any other developmental disorder.
So, let’s just begin with something basic. What exactly is in a vaccination?
1) Antigens: The infectious agent is the primary constituent of each and every vaccine. Included in this are antigens including hepatitis B, diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus (DTP), haemophilus influenzae B (Hib), inactivated polio virus (IPV), and pneumococcal antigen (one cause of pneumonia).
2) Aluminum: This can be utilized to increase the antigenic response by trapping the antigen and causing a slow release of it. Aluminum inside the blood is associated to allergy, motor paralysis, local numbness, fatty degeneration of kidneys and liver, learning disabilities, dementia, and seizures.
3) Formaldehyde: This is used to inactivate the bacterial and viral antigens. Exposure to formaldehyde is associated with cancer, vertigo, coma, and death. There is no known threshold level below which there is not really a threat of cancer.
4) Thimerosal: Also called merthiolate, thimerosal hails from mercury and has been used as a preservative and disinfectant in vaccines. Mercury is probably the most potent neurotoxins proven to humans. In July 1999, the FDA requested that manufacturers of vaccines remove thimerosal from U.S. licensed vaccines. This occurred after it had been said that cumulative exposure of infants to mercury during the first 6 months of life exceeded EPA guidelines. Thimersol remains used in flu vaccines and then in vaccines distributed in other countries. Recent research is showing that thimerosal is more prevalent in vaccines now than it absolutely was in 1999!
5) Other Components: These include phenol that is utilized in the extraction procedure for making vaccines and is also a highly toxic substance derived from coal tar that may cause shock, convulsions, cardiac failure, kidney failure, and death. Ethanol, methanol, isopropyl and 2 phenoxyethanol are alcohols that are used as antiseptics to hinder the growth and reproduction of microorganisms in vaccines. And there are the unwanted or unknown components which simply occur along the way. It is particularly hard to establish factors behind negative effects due to these unknown substances.
So, exactly what are we to create with this? I’m not sure. Will it mean vaccines are unsafe? I don’t know. Are these substances I would knowingly inject into my own, personal children’s bloodstreams? No — not without some solid, compelling evidence that it will be with their benefit.
Vaccine proponents say the proof benefit is apparent. Vaccine opponents say the proof of benefit is significantly from clear and this the science behind vaccinations is fairly shabby. Before making a decision, weigh the sumlds carefully. On the pro side of vaccinations, check out the Centers for Disease Control (cdc.gov). For the con side of vaccinations, go to the National Vaccine Information Center (nvic.org).